Ranking amongst top concert venues in the world with major U.S. tours, sellouts and national awards
UNCASVILLE, CT (December 11, 2017) – Mohegan Sun Arena recorded yet another successful year of A-list national tours and national awards in 2017. Two major awards were “Prime Site” and “Casino of the Year,” bringing the total to 15 national awards for the Arena over nine years. Named in Connecticut Magazine as “Best of Connecticut 2017” for large entertainment venue, Mohegan Sun Arena continues to be one of the busiest venues in the world, and surpassed 11 million guests this year as well.
“I am blessed to have so many talented people who help put our entertainment brand on the world stage – they are the reason we have a world-class venue sitting right in our backyard,” said Tom Cantone, Sr. VP of Sports and Entertainment.
Along with recognitions, 2017 brought in multiple Grammy winners, Billboard chart toppers and Top Hot 100 artists with a record of 39 sellouts, as well as two major sport franchises, CT Sun and Black Wolves Lacrosse who both made the playoffs, filling in some of 165 dates drawing some 800,000 fans.
Among the celebrated artists and bands in 2017, one of the hottest tours includes Lady Gaga’s, “Joanne World Tour” which hit Mohegan Sun Arena with two sold-out shows. The Arena also hosted other highly touted tours that sold-out within minutes including Ed Sheeran, Bon Jovi, Neil Diamond, Depeche Mode, Journey, Pentatonix, Backstreet Boys and Ariana Grande.
Major National Awards and Tours:
- #1 Ranked Casino Venue in the World (Billboard, Pollstar, Venues Today)
- #1 Social Media Venue in the World for Size (Venues Today)
- Prime Site Award (Facilities & Event Management Magazine)
- Casino of the Year (IEBA – International Entertainment Buyers Association)
- Named Most Instagrammed Location in CT (Buzzfeed)
- 3rd in the U.S. for Size (Billboard)
- 3rd in the World for Size (Billboard)
- 39th in the World for All Size Venues (Pollstar)
- 17th in the U.S. for All Size Venues (Pollstar)
- Ed Sheeran – Grammy nomination for “Song of the Year;” Presented a check for $10,000 to the CT Children’s Hospital in his name
- Lady Gaga – 2017 American Music Awards “Favorite Pop/Rock Female Artist;” Wore the CT Sun game jersey on stage during her show
- Katy Perry – Met the family of a local cancer victim who listened to her music during treatment. The full story is available to read here: Poughkeepsie Journal
- Bon Jovi – Rehearsed and started his “This House Is Not for Sale Tour” at Mohegan Sun Arena
- Ariana Grande – Grammy nominations: “Best Pop Vocal Album” and “Best Pop Solo Performance;” BBC Radio 1’s Teen Awards “Best International Solo Artist”
- The Weeknd – Power Artists (Billboard Power 100)
- Florida Georgia Line – “Top Country Song” (Billboard)
- Imagine Dragons – 2017 American Music Awards “Favorite Duo/Group Pop/Rock”
- Halsey – “Top Hot 100 Song,” “Top Collaboration,” “Top Dance/Electric Song” (Billboard); Grammy nomination for “Best Pop Duo/Group Performance”
- Vets Rock – With Joe Walsh and Eddie Money, raised a total of $250,000 for our Veterans and USO
*Rankings reflect mid-year reporting with year-end results due out January 2018.
Other notable national tours in 2017 included: Eric Church, Sebastian Maniscalco, Tim & Faith, Jason Aldean, Neil Diamond, The Who, New Kids on the Block, Pentatonix, Chris Rock and Kevin Hart.
Mohegan Sun Arena keeps pace in the New Year with big name acts set for 2018 as: Walk The Moon on January 20th, Dancing With The Stars on January 26th & 27th, Cole Swindell on February 17th, Little Big Town on February 23rd, Kid Rock on March 2nd, Alice Cooper on March 8th, Rod Stewart on March 24th, Celtic Woman on March 30th, Lorde on April 7th, Brett Eldredge on April 28th, Tim & Faith on June 15th and many more.
To view the full entertainment calendars for Mohegan Sun, visit mohegansun.com/entertainment.
Mohegan Sun Arena is now ranked consistently among the top venues in the world according to Billboard Magazine, Pollstar and Venues Today. It has won “Casino of The Year” at the Country Music Awards in 2008 & 2010 and in 2013, was voted “Arena Of The Year” at the G2E Global Gaming Conference in Las Vegas. Mohegan Sun Arena was also ranked among the top 10 arena venues in the nation for 2014, regardless of size. In 2015, Mohegan Sun took home the IEBA award for “Casino of the Year.” Mohegan Sun also won “Casino of the Year” in 2 categories at the 2013 & 2016 Academy of Country Music Awards. For more information on concerts and other great events, visit Mohegan Sun. For information on this week’s schedule, call the Entertainment and Special Events hotline at 1.888.226.7711, ext. 27163.